Friday, June 29, 2018

Happy Birthday Helen Granier ~ Going Strong at 105


Helen Granier turned 105 on Friday and she has no idea why she’s lived so long, because for years she indulged in bad habits. Turns out the secret to her long life is partying hard.

 “I never expected to live this long,” Helen Granier of Palm Harbor told WTSP. “No one in my family ever did. I don’t know what the secret is.”

Helen celebrated her birthday at Coral Oaks Independent Living Facility last week, where she has lived for the past nine years.

She reminisced about her life and how she went against the grain in her younger days.

“I used to drink beer and I smoked and everything,” she told WTSP. “I stayed out late, you know, dancing, and then I would go to work.”

She loved to dance, but her husband prevented her from going to Las Vegas to test her luck.

“My husband wouldn’t take me to Vegas, because he knew I liked to gamble. Oh, I loved to play the slot machines,” she said. “So I went to Las Vegas after he passed.”

Some memories are clear, as if they happened yesterday, she said. Helen was only five when World War I ended, but she said she still remembered it. She does not recall getting her driver’s license, though.

“I don’t even remember when I started to drive,” she laughed.

Sources:

The Week Magazine.  June 29, 2018


 

 

No comments:

March 2024 Events and Opportunities

                   Happy Belated Birthday, Dr. Harry “Rick” Moody! Excerpted from Values in Human Aging Newsletter, March, 2024 Rembrand...