Monday, January 1, 2024

Caregiving Pearls of Wisdom

 



 

Hi Readers, last month I participated in a health fair and had a box with a slot where caregivers could write out their experiences and lessons learned anonymously. Below is an excerpt of five people who contributed their advice on paper. Their experiences are varied and I think demonstrate the demands, frustrations, and reflections on family caregiving. AgeDoc

 

“I never knew it would be this hard on me. I’m 82. I have no time for myself and caring for my husband takes all of my time. I never sleep through the night. He doesn’t have dementia, he is just disabled and can’t walk. I have help come in during the day but with people in my house, I can’t relax.”

 

“Always moisturize. And pray.”

 

“I don’t want my wife to feel unwanted. I try to show the happy side. I connect to her to make her feel safe, wanted, and treasured. I try to tell her stories of fun times we had together to stay more connected.”

 

“Patience is key. Older people don’t understand technology. Just have patience.”

 

“I am overwhelmed when she refuses to listen to my heartfelt, loving, and concerned advice.”

No comments:

April Aging Events 2024

  Human Values in Aging Newsletter   April 2024     Excerpted from the HVAN. Thank you, Dr. H.R. Moody, for editing these timely e...